Updated 12 September 2021
The Club has an enthusiastic sub group of members who sail RC Lasers, a quarter size model of the Olympic class Laser dinghy. Like the dinghy it is a strictly controlled one-design class.
While the group sails to the ISAF racing rules of sailing, we do honour the club code of being friendly first and competitive second.
Each year an RC Laser Club Championship of eight rounds is held at the club, usually from May to September. This series helps prepare sailors for State and National title events, which the Club stands ready to host
The RC Laser offers club members who usually sail ML45's or other classes, the opportunity to compete in a slightly more serious way if they wish.
The Club has a fleet of over 20 RC Lasers and there is usually a group of 5 - 8 members sailing each Wednesday. Wednesday sailing is often at Mawson Lakes but can also be at other venues. Members are notified of the sailing location via a WhatsApp group, so please join the group if you are interested.
Formal racing is generally held on one Sunday afternoon every three weeks or so as part of the RC Laser Club Championship. There is also a program of 4-5 handicap and paired sailing races held throughout the year, where up to 10 boats appear.
RC Lasers also sail on the combined classes sailing days, which are held on the first barbecue Saturday of each month.
Look out for the twilight series at the Port River Sailing Club over summer and occasional events at venues around the state.
Please note that this program is subject to change without notice.
Covid 19 restrictions and check in requirements applyi
Club Championship: Race Results.
- Sunday 12th Sept 2.30pm Dotterill Crt West Lakes – Club Championship Rd 8 Register Here
- Sunday 26th Sept 2.30pm Mawson Lakes – Reserve Date Club Championship
- Port River Sailing Club – Twilight Series – Starting 14 October Program TBA - more detail to come, Laser & other classes & spectators wecome, come and stay for dinner. Watch this space.
- Friday 22nd October – Monday 25th October – Paradise Radio Sailing Club, Emerald Lakes Queensland – Australian National RC Laser Championships
- Wednesday 27th October 2pm Mawson Lakes – Handicap Racing
- Friday 12th November – MLMYC Presentation Night
- Port River Sailing Club – Twilight Series – Program TBA
RC Laser sailors are able to join ML45 sailors for cruising on the third Saturday of each month. They will start after the last of the ML45s and will follow the same cruising course.
Watch this space. We will be reverting to a roster system of RO's to share the workload and allow all to participate.